Don’t implement your goals this year until you read this!
All successful businesspeople know the importance of setting goals. Yet far too little is taught on the one thing more important that great goals, the one thing from which all goals MUST be based.
Here is an example of a wrong priority, a 2%ers top priority, and 4 keys to setting the right priorities.
The Wrong Priorities
In Luke 12:16-21, Jesus shares the parable of the rich fool, the man who had the wrong priorities (get rich, hoarde my wealth for myself, and retire).
Is gaining wealth wrong? Of course not – God desires to abundantly bless us in all ways (Deuteronomy 28:1-14). It was the reason behind the priority that was the rich fool’s problem (take life easy, eat, drink and be merry). His priority was extremely selfish comfort without God.
A 2%ers Top Priority
“Glorify the Lord with me. Let us exalt His name together.” Psalm 34:3
As many of you already know, this is my life verse and my business priority. All of my goal setting starts with this priority: how can I bring the most glory to the Lord?
I contend – even challenge you – that this (to glorify God) is the TOP priority for any 2%er leader or company.
As my good friend, Arnie McCall, says, our priority as believers is “to make Jesus more famous than your brand.”
4 Keys to Setting Priorities
Without question, Peter Drucker’s four keys to setting priorities from his classic book, The Effective Executive, are the absolute best I’ve ever found. A believer, Drucker teaches us to:
1. Pick the future over the past (or as tell to my keynote audiences, “Invent the future – don’t redesign the past.”)
2. Focus on opportunities rather than problems.
3. Choose your own direction rather than climb on the bandwagon.
4. Aim high for something that will make a great deal of difference rather than something that is safe and easy to do.
Start With Your Priorities
- What are your priorities for this year?
- In what ways will you bring glory to God in your business?
- How will you drive the name of Jesus above your brand?
- How are you integrating Drucker’s list within your business?
Please share one or more of your priorities below. I’d love to learn what other 2%ers are dedicated to achieve. [If you would like to see my priorities, leave a comment and “convince me” to share them!]