“And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teacher for the equipping of the saints for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ.” Ephesians 4:11-12
In my previous post, I introduce the supernatural role of business apostle. Today let’s review the supernatural role of prophet in business.
Role of Business Prophet
Prophet (prophetes) – one who is moved by the Spirit of God and therefore His spokesman; a foreteller; often an inspired speaker; interpreter of hidden things
Business prophets are strategists who create and evaluate business plans and implementation actions. They possess a supernatural gift of marketplace timing, sensing the right opportunities in the right market space at exactly the right time. Through their gift of analysis, they challenge the status quo to reveal what others need to do to prepare for the future.
According to Dr. Bill Hamon in his book, The Day of the Saints, “more than 90% of the prophets in the Old Testament never functioned inside the walls of the temple. They never earned their income from ‘church’ ministry. Most were business people or government officials.”
Some Biblical examples of business prophets include Nathan (David’s staff member), Deborah (judge), Amos (farmer), and David himself (shepherd, warrior, king).
Key Characteristics of Business Prophets
Some key characteristics of a business prophet can include:
- Create the systems and strategies to implement the apostle’s vision.
- Challenge the status quo.
- Encourage and exhort others to attack the problems and challenges.
- Recognize and partner with other prophets.
- Have unique insight and perspective.
- Speaking up when something is going wrong or about to go wrong.
- Intuitive problem solvers.
- Ability to improve on other’s ideas.
- Recognize potential pitfalls and hurdles to come.
How Business Prophets Equip Their Saints
Since business prophets are the ones who sense the future and adjust plans to be successful, they partner with other business prophets to maximize the business impact for the kingdom. Some of the ways a business prophet equips his team include:
- Creating action steps for the business apostle’s vision.
- Creating “What If” scenario plans of alternative action in case of a failure or misstep.
- Declare God’s Word over situations and people.
- Alert the team to potential enemy attacks and prepare countermeasures of action.
- Promote and release creativity and fresh perspective into all operations.
- Encourage and exhort other prophets to speak up boldly with their revelations.
- Train up others in how to hear the voice of God.
The Business Prophet’s Mandate
Business prophets are the gifted ones to sense “what’s next.” It is therefore their mandate to clearly share their supernatural revelations and prepare the organizational structure for the future.
Their mandate comes with a cost – the real potential of being outcast, shut down, excluded, and ignored, for many others (even under the anointment of God) may not want to hear their truths. Therefore it is imperative that business prophets stand their ground, speak the truth in love and boldness, and exhort others to have ears to hear and eyes to see.
Next post: The Supernatural Leadership Role of Business Evangelist.[NOTE: This post is an except from Dr. Jim’s forthcoming book, Anointed to Lead: How to Discover and Unleash Your Supernatural Leadership Gifts to be released Summer 2017.]